Food packaging is no longer just about protection, storage and transportation. The focus is on waste prevention, replacement of plastic, circular economy and use of sustainable raw materials. What is needed are paper-based solutions that protect the environment and consumers. Solutions such as our innovative barricote barrier papers for flexible packaging, with their combinable barriers against water vapour, grease / oil, oxygen / aroma and mineral oil migration.
Our barricote products are not only paper-based but also fully recyclable. We rely on water-based coatings and a high proportion of biodegradable ingredients. At the same time, our barrier papers are 100% free of plastic films, extruded polymers, laminates, fluorocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons and optical brighteners. Whether pouches, wrapping papers or lining papers - barricote protects foods and consumers. Environmentally friendly, sustainable and safe.
Watch the latest video about our sustainable barricote barrier papers for flexible food packaging here.
We offer a wide range of barrier papers from 44 to 89 g/m². All barricote barrier papers are characterized by the following common features:
- Paper products made from virgin fibres
- Water-based coatings for combinable barrier functions against
- water vapour
- mineral oil migration (MOSH/MOAH)
- 100 % free of
- plastic films, extruded polymers or laminates
- fluorocarbons (PFAS and PFOS)
- chlorinated hydrocarbons (PVDC)
- optical brighteners (OBA)
- High content of biodegradable ingredients
- Fully recyclable in the waste paper cycle
- Reverse side offset and flexo printable
- direct food contact (e. g. BfR XXXVI)
- ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 50001
- INREKA, DIN EN 15593
- FSC® Mix or PEFC™
Applications: primary and secondary packaging for food and non-food, e.g.
- bags (heat-sealed and glued)
- wrapping papers
- lining papers (for recycled and corrugated cardboard)
In addition, we offer barricote barrier papers with these specific properties:
- Combined multibarriers
- mineral oil + grease/oil (MG)
- mineral oil + grease/oil + oxygen/aroma (MGO)
- water vapour + grease/oil (WG)
- water vapour + grease/oil + oxygen/aroma + mineral oil (WGOM)
- Very good heat-sealability
- Very good hot melt adhesive properties
- Certified seawater decomposability
- Excellent freshness effect
- Excellent release effect
- Particularly high proportion of renewable raw materials
- Particularly high proportion of biodegradable ingredients
- Retention of the protective function in further processing processes
No wonder that leading brand owners, retail companies and packaging manufacturers rely on barricote.
BAGS AND POUCHES (HEAT-SEALED AND GLUED)
Barrier papers with excellent heat-sealability for heat-sealed packaging of food and non-food products. The intelligent alternative to film packaging made of PE, PP or BOPP film (BAG WG, BAG WGOM, WRAP WG uni). And barrier papers for glued bag and pouch packaging (LINER MG, LINER MGO).
Wrapping papers for food, for instance such as burger, bread, sausages or cheese. Due to the barriers and the very good freshness effect the food stays in shape and fresh - everything is well protected (WRAP WG, WRAP WG uni).
Lining papers for packaging made from recycled or corrugated cardboard. For food such as pasta, oat flakes, cereals or coffee. The special barrier functions are of course maintained during all further processing steps such as printing, folding, creasing, etc (LINER MG, LINER MGO).
As a sustainable high-tech material, paper is the ideal basis for food and non-food packaging. For our barrier papers we use renewable raw materials that do not compete with food production. All barricote products are fully recyclable and therefore ideally suited for the circular economy.
Innovations such as barricote are possible because of our many years of experience in coating various speciality papers. We have six different coating technologies available for the application of many different functional, protective and barrier coatings, including multiple and double-sided coatings.
We use water-based barrier coatings. Our curtain coater technology enables us to apply highly effective coatings in an extremely uniform way. Safely and accurately. In this way, we create innovative barrier papers that not only efficiently protect packaged goods but also consider aspects such as environmental responsibility and sustainability.